South Australian authorities have approved a full house at Adelaide Oval ahead of next month’s AFL Showdown.
Pressure had been mounting on SA Health to approve 100pc crowd capacity – from a current 40,000 fans to up to 50,000 people – ahead of the blockbuster, amid business calls to help the CBD economy.
The Crows and Port Adelaide Showdown game – a Power home match – is just over a fortnight away on Saturday, May 8.
SA chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier said SA Health had been working closely with oval management over a long period of time to ensure the safety of fans.
“I’m very confident about the safety of the set-up that they have there,” she said.
“The showdown is a special event … and to be able to have the majority of fans able to come back and see that event is very special.”
She said precautions at the oval would remain in place, including a requirement that patrons wear masks when arriving, leaving and moving around the ground.