Concerns over safety and liability have been raised at a council meeting as a decision went ahead to delay upgrades to playing fields at the Katherine Sportsgrounds.
All but one of the Katherine Town Council’s elected members at last night’s meeting voted to push back work to September 1, allowing clubs continued use of the ovals during the peak of the sporting season.
If the insurance company deems the oval unsafe to use, the decision will be back before elected members at the next council meeting, one month away, further delaying the drawn-out project.
“Through the Sports Advisory meetings we were advised that the upgrade of field two would start at the end of our season in 2019 and would be available to use at the start of the 2020 season.
“To date, this update hasn’t started and we have great concerns that the field will not be available when our season starts in March.”
Last month KTC asked the NT Government if Junior Rugby League could use the abandoned Sport and Recreation Club on Giles Street so planned work at the main sportsgrounds could go ahead.
But with issues of asbestos, land and building certifications and the fact that the facility is believed to be in the middle of a sale, the request was denied.