Two programs based on gifts from the Kendrick B. Melrose Family Foundation will send 22 members of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA) to the 2020 Golf Industry Show, Jan. 25-30, in Orlando.
The Melrose Leadership Academy supports the professional development of GCSAA member superintendents. It is administered through the Environmental Institute for Golf (EIFG), the philanthropic organization of GCSAA. The program was established in 2012 by Ken Melrose, retired CEO and chairman of the board of The Toro Co., and is supported by a $1 million gift to the EIFG from the Kendrick B. Melrose Family Foundation.
Academy members are chosen through an application process based on financial need, volunteerism and a drive to advance their careers. The new class will participate in networking and leadership activities, as well as attend a variety of education seminars. Seventeen superintendents were chosen to be a part of the 2020 Academy.
The Melrose Equipment Management Experience supports the professional development needs of GCSAA golf course equipment manager members by providing select individuals the opportunity to attend the Golf Industry Show. The Melrose Equipment Management Experience was established in 2019 supported by a $1 million gift to the EIFG and was designed to have a positive impact for each equipment manager selected and ultimately, the game of golf. Five equipment managers were chosen as part of the inaugural Experience class.
“More than 100 golf course superintendents have benefitted from the professional development of the Melrose Leadership Academy since its inception,” GCSAA CEO Rhett Evans said. “And now our equipment manager members have a similar opportunity thanks to the benevolence of our good friend Ken Melrose, whose dedication to the industry is truly inspirational.”
The Melrose Family Foundation is supported by Ken Melrose, former CEO and chairman of The Toro Co. He retired as CEO in 2005 and from the chairman position in 2006. That same year he formed Leading by Serving, LLC, a new company whose mission is to advance the principles of servant leadership in business organizations.
The members of the 2020 Melrose Leadership Academy are:
- Stephen Bailey of North Hills Municipal Golf Course in Corry, PA.
- Paul Bonini, CGCS of Watertown Golf Club in Watertown, CT.
- Michael Brownsberger of Deer Island Country Club in Tavares, FL.
- Bryce Burton of Star Valley View in Afton, WY.
- Ben Ellis of Paint Branch Golf Course in College Park, MD.
- Matthew Guilfoil of Desert Canyon Golf Club in Fountain Hills, AZ.
- Adam Hoffman of Sunset Hills Country Club in Carrollton, GA.
- John Jacob of Deerfield Golf Club in Newark, DE.
- Chad Malone of Moccasin Bend Golf Club in Chattanooga, TN.
- Darrell Marcinek of Somerset Country Park Commission in Neshanic Station, NJ.
- David Moffett of Mosholu Golf Course in Bronx, NY.
- Michael Murphy of Robert T Lynch Municipal Golf Course in Brookline, MA.
- Steven Phillips of Pine Meadows Golf Club in Lewistown, MT.
- Paul Schnell of Lake Shore Country Club in Erie, PA.
- Todd Six of On Top of the World in Clearwater, FL.
- Louise Valdez of North Ranch Country Club in Westlake Village, CA.
- Joel Wiener of Antelope Hills Golf Course in Dubois, WY.
The members of the 2020 Melrose Equipment Management Experience are:
- Scott T. Fowler of Hampshire Green Golf Course in Ashton, MD.
- Clinton McKee of Mountain Top & Payne’s Valley by Tiger Woods in Hollister, MO.
- Justin W. Prescott of Kenosha Country Club in Kenosha, WI.
- Matt Radatz of Hawks Landing Golf Club in Verona, WI.
- Angel Rodriguez of Valley of the Eagles in Elyria, OH.
For more information about the Melrose Leadership Academy and the Melrose Equipment Management Experience, visit www.eifg.org.
With roots dating back to 1914, Toro is a leading worldwide provider of innovative solutions for the outdoor environment including turf and landscape maintenance, snow management, rental and construction equipment, and irrigation solutions. Through a strong network of distributors, dealers, retailers and rental stores in more than 125 countries, Toro helps customers care for golf courses, sports fields, public green spaces, commercial and residential properties, construction sites and agricultural operations. More at: www.toro.com.