Nine holes of the upgraded Sandringham Golf Course located in Cheltenham, Victoria, are set to open to the public on Wednesday 29th January with the full 18 hole golf course expected to be completed by the end of 2020, dependent on weather and the establishment of the new grass.
A day course closure will occur on 28th January 2020 to allow for site establishment works, including temporary site fencing and signage, and to set up the course ready for play on 29th January 2020.
The redevelopment of the course is funded by Golf Victoria, Golf Australia, the PGA and the Victorian Government.
The Sandringham Golf Course is owned by Bayside City Council and leased and operated by Sandringham Golf Links Management.
In 2014, Golf Victoria, Golf Australia and the PGA received funding from the Victorian Government to develop a High Performance Training and Administration Facility. After a 2-year process, Sandringham Golf Links was identified as the preferred location for this development.
On 19 December 2018, Bayside City Council issued a Planning Permit for the following redevelopment works at Sandringham Golf Links:
- Public 30 Bay driving range: 350 metre (approximately) long driving range including target greens.
- Public short game practice area: Large chipping area and putting green.
- Redevelopment of the 18-hole Golf Course: Works include the reconfiguration of a number of holes incorporating new greens, tees and bunkers.
- Golf training facilities: Indoor high-performance training facilities.
- Public café: Public café within the main building with views over the course.
- A new 2 storey ‘Club House’ Facility: Incorporating office administration space for Golf Victoria/Golf Australia and Sandringham Golf Links staff, meeting rooms, education spaces and new public amenities/changerooms.
- Additional Water Storage Capacity: For water storage and course irrigation, reducing the course’s reliance on potable water.
- An extensive revegetation program to increase the number of indigenous trees, vegetation and overall biodiversity value of the site.
In late November 2018, the ‘Project’ received further funding from the Victorian Government.
This funding is to implement additional upgrade works at the course and includes the following:
- Additional water storage capacity of the dam.
- Course enhancement works.
- Additional office administration space.
These works will not require the removal of any additional vegetation/trees.
Bayside City Council at its meeting on the 19th March 2019 resolved to grant ‘land owners consent’ for the additional works subject to the required planning approval processes.
The Project has now progressed to the implementation stage for works that have been approved by Bayside Council.
Works that were scheduled to commence on Monday 13th May 2019 will continue until December 2020 and include:
- The reconfiguration of a number of holes incorporating new greens, tees and bunkers
- The reconstruction of the remaining holes (tees/greens/bunkers/irrigation) that do not require ‘reconfiguration’
- The upgrade to the irrigation system
- Expansion works to the existing water storage dam to create greater storage capacity
The works associated with the redevelopment of the Golf Course will be implemented as a ‘staged approach’ to ensure that 9 holes will remain open for the duration of the construction period.
Image courtesy of Sandringham Golf Course https://www.sandringham.golf/
Source, Image & More: https://www.ausleisure.com.au/