More than 6000 people have lodged an objection to plans for 760 houses on a former golf course — the most Kingston Council has ever received on a single issue.
And the Save Kingswood Group, which has been fighting plans for the rezoning and redevelopment of the Dingley site for years, said there will be 7000 by the end of the submission period.
The group’s secretary Kevin Poulter said they had already delivered 6000 objections to the council and estimated another 500 had been lodged independently.
“By cut off (August 30) we will have 7,000 objections,” he said
Mr Poulter said it was “most likely the most objections for a development of this type in Victoria’s history.”
Kingston’s Planning and Development General Manager Jonathan Guttmann confirmed that more than 6500 submissions had been lodged about the proposal, a record number for a single issue.
Save Kingswood stepped up its long running campaign about six weeks ago with members running stalls at supermarkets and the Dingley Village Farmers Market.
Businesses and residents have also been posting signs around the suburb urging people to “Say No” and a recent Save Kingswood community meeting attracted more than 400 people.
Property fund giant ISPT bought the 53.4ha site in 2014 for $125 million and developer ASRP1 wants to build a minimum of 760 dwellings on the site.
Save Kingswood has raised concerns about a lack of schools, roads and sporting facilities, and the fact the site was flood prone.
Mr Poulter said the group wanted the land to remain open space to provide a wildlife sanctuary and “hugely needed” playing fields for the area.
He said the fight was being backed by state and federal MPs of all political persuasions.
“Every politician of every party in our area is with us on this,” he said.
Keysborough State Labor MP Martin Pakula, Liberal candidate for Keysborough Darrel Taylor Hotham Federal Labor MP Clare O’Neil, Isaacs Federal MP Mark Dreyfus, Liberal Member for South Eastern Metropolitan Region, Inga Peulich MLC and Greens Member for South Eastern Metropolitan Region Nina Springle have all publicly expressed concern about the project.
Source, Images & More: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/