Tasmanians involved in the state’s $100 million racing industry are celebrating the return of the sport after the coronavirus shutdown.
Horse racing resumed on Sunday with a thoroughbreds meeting in Launceston and harness racing in Hobart.
The Tasmanian industry was shut down on April 2.
Tasmania was the only state to impose a total ban on thoroughbreds, harness and greyhounds.
Hobart harness racing driver Ricky Duggan said it was a relief to be back racing at Elwick.
Mr Duggan, who has been driving for 32 years, said the impact of the closure had been significant.
“I’ve felt for owners and trainers in all three codes. It’s been pretty hard for us to be shut down for nearly three months while the rest of the country races on,” he said.
“It’s just good to be heading back to the races.”
“The participants are keen to get back to the track and start winning some prize money. It’s been pretty hard for the industry to take,” he said.
Source, Image & More: https://www.themercury.com.au/